Plotting a Cross-section from WRF Model output with NCAR Command Language (ncl)
Following is an explanation on how to plot a vertical cross-section of a WRF model domain with NCAR Command Language (ncl).
- Before running this script it is important to have a file named .hluresfile in your home directory. The file should contain something like:
*wkColorMap : WhViBlGrYeOrReWh *wkBackgroundColor : white *wkForegroundColor : black *FuncCode : ~ *TextFuncCode : ~ *Font : helvetica *wkWidth : 900 *wkHeight : 900
For more information see: ncl web site.
- Need the following programs installed
- NCAR Graphics with ncl . Set the $NCARG_ROOT environment variable to the correct installation location. (e.g.~/usr/local/ncarg). This installation will also provide the command psplit that can be used to split a multi-page postscript document to individual pages.
- Ghostscript tools (normally available in many standard UNIX installations. This provide eps2eps command.
- ImageMagick graphics utilities 
- gifsicle program for making GIF animations. 
- Edit the file ./pltprogs/CONSTANTS.bash to reflect the paths in your computer.
- Go to the directory where wrfplot.bash. Copy or link the wrf output file to this place.
- Execute the following command
Upon successful execution the png format images and datasets used to plot them will be available in the folder ./output.